What to Buy a Feminist for Christmas
So, you know/love a feminist. It’s the Christmas season and you need to buy a present for them. Their darned belief, that they are equal human citizens, means you can’t just give them the gift of “sitting on your arse watching the television and drinking while they cook the dinner and shouldn’t they be grateful because you could have been at the pub with your mates”, which really makes things difficult.
You also can’t exactly buy them what they really want, such as full bodily autonomy, equal pay or an end to discrimination and harassment. Last I heard, TK Maxx and Etsy were all out of bodily autonomy – they had a huge order in from Ireland. (Side note – the bill to legislate for abortion in the republic of Ireland passed through all stages of the government this month, meaning abortion will be legal from the first of January).
What, then, can you buy this impossible-to-please feminist in your life?
Luckily, here at Mxogyny we’ve done the hard work for you and had a look at some of the weird, wonderful, and woke gifts that you can buy your feminist (except of course they’re not YOURS, they’re humans, not property).
Without further ado, here are our top 10 gifts for the feminist in your life:
This phone case, which is both fashionable and practical, in that it conveys exactly what feminism is all about in easy to understand imagery.
2. This mug, for the feminist/Hamilton enthusiast. Let men say that they’re intense or they’re insane, they won’t care because they’ll have this cool mug.
3. This pin, to point at whenever anyone in their company is being a general dickhead, and needs to be made aware that a criticism of their outdated views is on the way.
4. Help them level up their home décor with this gorgeous throw pillow, which will serve as a confidence booster/comfy place to lay their head after a long hard day of fighting the patriarchy.
5. The incredibly named “Pot your tits away love”, because what goes better with the fight to free the nipple than some pretty plants?
6. This travel mug, which they can take with them on the go to save the planet AND dismantle the patriarchy, all during their cup of morning coffee.
7. “Can we all be feminists”, edited by June Eric-Udorie, because intersectionality is key. As Fionnuala O’Toole discussed, we can all feel like baby feminists sometimes, so it’s important to keep learning and moving forward with our feminism.
8. These kids’ books for the actual baby feminists in your life.
9. Lush’s Charity pot, which is fair trade, cruelty free and donates the profits to charity, because fighting the patriarchy can really take it out of you and sometimes you just need a little self-care.
10. Because it’s Christmas, it’s also an excuse to go for a bit of a booze, but to win bonus points with any feminist, you’d better make sure it’s an ethical bender you go on. So how about a bottle of “One Gin” (@thespiritofone on Instagram) which funds water projects.
There you have it. You now have absolutely no excuse for not buying great feminist presents this Christmas, as any (or all) of these gifts are sure to make even the nastiest of feminists in your life smile (but she’s smiling because she wants to, not because you want her to). Happy holidays everyone, and have a smashing (the patriarchy) new year.